Friday, May 7, 2010

FaceBook Friends One - Origianlly Posted 10-23-09

Most of you who know me, know I am a political conservative. That does not mean I am a Republican. I am not. I tend to agree with a lot of their ideas. Yes, I listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Fox News. But, I make up my own mind. (Everyone still with me?)
I had an incident earlier this week I have been going over and trying to understand. I have a facebook friend who is a liberal. That was ok with me. Anyway, she posted an article I disagreed with. I wrote a response about the article. I was not snide or sarcastic. I showed the proper respect to those I mentioned (former President Clinton, President Obama, Vice-President Biden, etc.) I used only facts and quotes. I explained I disagreed and why. Her response was to be shrill and insulting and drop me from her friends list. I then posed the question of tolerance on my page. Instead of reacting in kind, I have chosen to write this article. (For those of you who have not gone on to something else.)

I have been blessed by God (yes, by God) with the ability to analyze and make my own decisions about what I feel and believe. I was also bless through my parents to distinguish right from wrong and to question that which I do not understand. A lot of my life I have been around some bad people. I even was one at one time in my life. However, I have made it a goal in my life to be a better person. In doing that, I try to understand others who disagree with me. This goes so far as to seek out those who do not agree with me. I am not trying to win them over to my side. I just try to understand what they believe and why. I do not discount or dismiss their beliefs. On the contrary, I support their differences with me. I have made it my goal in life to always be a better person. It does not always work, but I still try.

Unfortunately, the results have been more often what I experienced this week. There was one time I will treasure and remember forever. I met a woman at a friend's home who was the exact polar opposite of my beliefs. We spent the entire time discussing our points of view. We were not disrespectful or attacking. She was firm in what she thought as was I. We did make jokes, but did not get disrespectful of each other. I guess I was spoiled to have met her. Ever since, I have sought out someone like that to talk to. Instead, I get people who shriek and shrill and name call and get personal. I do not enjoy that.

Since the election, I see American society as a whole getting more divisive and rude. I actually wanted Obama to win for two reasons. First, it would allow a new perspective from the White House which was needed. And second, teach the Republicans a lesson about arrogance. Most of what President Obama has done since taking office, I do not agree with. This does not make me a racist, but an American. His skin color and heritage have nothing to do with how I feel about his ideas. I base my feelings on what he has said and done and those he surrounds himself with. With that said, he is still the President. He is due the respect that comes with that office. This entire idea has now been corrupted into racism by our media. I see a great divide that needs to be healed.

It has come to the point I distrust all the media and pundits. I seek what truth I can find for myself. I even wonder if the politicians enjoy this strife. If we are busy fighting amongst ourselves, we miss the evil they are doing to us. I always believed the Democrat Party could win every election if they would put aside their petty differences and vote as one. However, I do not believe that will ever happen. I am an American. I am not a white-American, southern-American, Anglo-American, Tennesseean-American, or anything else. I am an American, plain and simple. I look at everyone else through that same prism. I do not believe in Gay-American,Straight-American, African-American, Asian-American, Mexican-American, etc. (However, Mexicans are Americans by virtue of being from North America.) But as a citizen of the United States, I think most of you know what I mean.

Everyone still with me?

In this spirit, I would like to invite my facebook friends to contact me. If you are interested in a dialogue and discussion, even a few jokes, I welcome you. If you are just going to call me names and insult me or my intelligence, don't bother. I have heard it all before. This is my way of saying we can be friends and disagree with each other. I often find it boring to only associate with those who only believe with me. I promise not to belittle you or your beliefs. I only seek to know why you believe what you believe. This is my simple way of trying to bring my part of the world together.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. This alone makes you one of the better people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment